Cross country wraps season at state meet

Teams have historic season, winning district championships, competing at regionals and state

Photo by Cameron Wiese

The varsity boys run in the state meet, Nov. 8. This was the first time in history the boys and girls teams qualified for the state meet.

Lila Lilljedahl, Rumbler Staffer

The varsity cross country teams wrapped up their season at the state meet, Saturday, Nov. 8, at Old Settler’s Park. Both teams qualified for the state meets, a first in school history.

“I was extremely happy with it,” junior Madie Boreman said. “Both teams worked hard and weren’t expecting it at the beginning of the summer, so to have it happen was exciting.”

Junior Madie Boreman runs over the dam at the state meet. Boreman, who the district and regional title, was the top finisher for the girls, taking 15th at state.
Photo by Cameron Wiese

Boreman was the top finisher for the girls, placing 15th. Freshman Danny Madrid was the leader for the boy’s team. Madrid was one of two freshmen who competed at the state meet. Freshman Helen Roddy ran with the girl’s team.

“I felt really good about being one of the freshmen to go to state, and I like how I did there,” Roddy said. “I wasn’t the top and I wasn’t the bottom, but it was pretty good to be one of the top freshman.”

For senior Suede Mora, his final meet of high school was mired by taking the SAT the morning of the meet. Mora only arrived at the meet 20 minutes before the meet.

The varsity girls at state: Sarah Warrenburg, Haley Timmons, Helen Roddy, Madie Boreman, Ashton Hilsenteger and Savy Escobar.

“It kinda broke me down mentally,” Mora said. “It’s kinda like a barrier that a lot of people have because you have to be physically and mentally tough so all my mental psych was kinda drained.”

Although the team wasn’t satisfied with their finish at state, competing at the meet was a culmination of a strong season. They had several team wins at earlier meets and both teams won district championships, a first in school history. Both the girls and boys teams ran at the regional and state meets, also firsts for the program.

“We cannot let that define ourselves from one bad race,” Mora said. “We’ve had a lot of good success in the season and we cannot let that define us because we’ve had a lot more success than failure.”