The School Newspaper of Rouse High School

Raider Rumbler

Raider Rumbler

Raider Rumbler

Wrestling team competing at State Dual Meet

The varsity wrestling team hopes to pin the competition this weekend and bring home a state medal. The Raiders are traveling to the Texas 4A State Dual Meet Championships Saturday, Jan. 11 in Frisco.

“We’re excited to go,” coach Brad Bresnehen said. “It’s the first time we’ve been invited and it’s been a long road, but it’s been a well-earned invitation.”

Only 16 teams were chosen to compete at dual state. After going 8-0 in duals and placing at four tournaments this season, the Raiders are seeded third behind Frisco Centennial and Amarillo.

“Centennial High School is by far the best team there,” Bresnehen said. “If we can end up facing them, wrestling them in the championship, it’ll be a good deal.”

In their pool, the team will face Creekview, Prosper and McKinney North in a series of duals. In each dual, wrestlers will face off in 14 weight classes. If the Raiders win their pool, they’ll advance to the quarterfinals.

“Creekview is going to be a tough opponent because they are a team that is pretty equal to our stature when it comes to wrestling,” senior Micah Schonfeld said. “It’s a solid team and it’s definitely going to be a good dual once we face them.”

The Carrollton school is the team’s toughest competition in the pool. The Mustangs are seeded sixth and have a home advantage, being less than 30 minutes away.

Vista Ridge is the only other Central Texas school that made the 16-team roster.

Despite it being their first time to reach dual state, the Raiders have high goals, hoping to make it to the championship match.

“I think we will get in the top two,” senior Jessie O’Rourke said. “This kind of proves that we’re starting to make a name for ourselves.”