The School Newspaper of Rouse High School

Raider Rumbler

Raider Rumbler

Raider Rumbler

Raiders fall in quarterfinals

Brennan rolled to a 30-7 win to end the Raiders’ season in the 4A state quarterfinals, Friday, Dec. 6.

The game started as a defensive battle with the Raiders punting three times and Brennan fumbling on their first possession and punting on their second. It was almost 10 minutes into the first quarter before Brennan got on the board, a 2-yard keeper by quarterback Da’Shawn Key.

The second quarter would be the difference in the game. The Bears showed their speed with three touchdowns, an 11-yard touchdown by Key, a 24-yard run by Troy Irby and a 55-yard punt return by Jaelan Collier.

On offense, the Raiders couldn’t get anything going, going three and out twice and throwing an interception late in the second quarter. This was the first time the team failed to score in the first half since the season opener against Hendrickson and the Vandegrift loss. In the final seconds of the first half, Brennan’s field goal attempt was wide and the Bears held a four touchdown lead at halftime.

The Raiders finally got some traction in the third quarter, moving the ball steadily down field and scoring on a 6-yard run by quarterback Billy Ray McCrary. The Raiders recovered the onside kick at their own 45, but the Bears’ defense clamped down and the Raiders were forced to punt.

“In the third quarter momentum started swinging our way,” linebacker Chris Hoad said. “But then we got a couple of bad holding calls and we just couldn’t seem to get the momentum back for the rest of the game.”

The defense kept the Bears out of the end zone in the second half, limiting Brennan to a 29-yard field goal in the fourth by Ethan Valdez.

The Bears capitalized on short fields for three of their four touchdowns. On a fake punt in the first quarter, the Raiders failed to get the first down and gave Brennan the ball at the Raider 29, allowing the Bears to score in four plays. With the Bears’ defense holding the Raiders to 172 yards, the offense was often forced to punt way in the backfield, allowing Brennan to score on drives that were only 55 and 56 yards.

“I feel like we were just a few plays away from being able to win the game,” Hoad said. “I definitely don’t think the final score reflected the game by any means.”

Missed opportunities plagued the Raiders. The Raiders almost recovered a fumble after they punted on their first series. The defense recovered a fumble on Brennan’s first offensive play, but the Raiders couldn’t move the ball. In the second quarter when the Bears were leading 13-0, Brennan fumbled again and Hoad grabbed the ball. But it was knocked out of his hands and the Bears recovered at the 24 and scored on the next play. An onside kick in the third quarter gave the Raiders’ a short field, but they failed to get the first down on 4th and 5.

The Bears remain undefeated at 14-0 and move on to the state semifinals. The Raiders end their season 10-4, advancing farther in the playoffs than any other LISD team. After the game, head coach Joshua Mann gathered his players and admonished his players to not cry.

“Don’t cloud your eyes for one moment,” Mann said. “I know you’re hurting. But part of this pain is because you loved it so much. These coaches, this family loves you with all of our hearts.”

Mann noted how no one believed they could have 10 wins. He urged the freshman, sophomore and junior teammates to recognize the success they’ve seen this year and learn from it.

“Rouse is no longer the one season Cinderella team,” Mann said. “What a helluva job this team just did. I’m proud to be a Raider.”