The School Newspaper of Rouse High School

Raider Rumbler

Raider Rumbler

Raider Rumbler

Raiders pummel Dripping Springs 38-21 in district opener

Quarterback Billy Ray McCrary rushed for two touchdowns and threw for three more in the 38-21 win over Dripping Springs in the district opener, Friday, Sept. 27. The Raiders racked up 467 total yards with McCrary accounting for more than half those numbers, throwing for 138 and rushing for 100.

“Billy has really handled his role transfer well,” head coach Joshua Mann said. “From running back to quarterback, it’s been a tough transition but he’s really matured.”

Dripping Springs got on the board first, with quarterback TJ Coble throwing a 70-yard touchdown pass on the Tigers’ first drive. But Rouse quickly answered back to tie up the game 7-7 on a McCrary 2-yard run and a Zack Ramirez point after.

Wide receiver Wesley Geisler scored the team’s second touchdown of the night, a 60-yard pass from McCrary, giving the Raiders a 14-7 lead going into halftime.

Coming back from the half, Ramirez kicked a 23-yard field goal to increase the lead by 10. But Dripping Springs wasn’t about to go down easy. The Tigers scored two touchdowns on consecutive drives to take a 21-17 lead.

The Raiders would take the lead for good at the end of the third with a 14-yard pass to Geisler, his second touchdown of the night. Geisler was the leading receiver with 102 yards.

In the fourth, defensive back Morgan Vest’s interception at the 45-yard line stopped a Tigers’ drive.  McCrary would rush for another score and throw an 11-yard touchdown to senior Zach Ayers to seal the 38-21 win.

“We could’ve played a lot better than we’re capable of,” running back Eric Gill said. “Though overall, I think we played well.”

The Raiders are currently 1-0 in district and 4-1 overall. They take on district rival Leander Friday at Bible Stadium at 7:30 p.m.