The School Newspaper of Rouse High School

Photo by Alexis Vela

Taylor Roberts swings the bat at the McNeil game.

Softball sets its sights on district championship

April 10, 2015

With only five games left in district, the varsity softball team is prime position to win its first-ever district championship. The team has a solid lead on first place with an 8-1 district record.

“Coach Blissit is pushing us to do well and we are working really hard in practice,” senior Kayleigh Norte said. “Every win makes us more determined to make it to the district championship.”

Kayleigh Norte and Hailley Falloon get pumped up by drumming on a painted tin trash can.
Photo by Gavin Medel

Moving to 6A division is often viewed as a tougher district, yet that the team has been more successful than any past season.

“I thought it would be harder, but we’re doing really well,” junior Taylor Roberts said. “The teams are as good as we thought they were going to be, and we are all working to reach a steady goal.”

Their success in large part is due to their success at the plate this season. Their batting average is .394 and they’ve scored 75 runs in nine games, an average of 8.3 runs per district game.

“Our talent has grown,” Norte said. “Coach Blissit is pushing us to do well and we are working really hard in practice. The whole team is working towards the same goal and that has helped us.”

Chelsea Ham, McNeil game
Photo by Alexis Vela
Chelsea Ham, McNeil game

The teams’ only district loss was March 16 at Cedar Ridge. They lost 7-4 to the Raiders who are sitting in third place with an 8-2 record. The softball team will face the Raiders at home, April 17, in a game that could decide the district title.

“The game was during spring break so I don’t think we were focused,” sophomore Hailley Falloon said. “I think we might have taken them too lightly at first, but other than that we played them well.”

The team will make the playoffs for the second year in a row. Last year, the girls finished fourth in 25-4A, and advanced to the third round.

“We stay really focused by only looking at the game next; we aren’t looking who we are playing two weeks from now,” Falloon said. “Our goals are very clear and straight forward.”

They play Round Rock, April 13 at 5:30 p.m. and travel to McNeil, April 14.

“We’ve put in a lot of work and we’ve never given up,” Bishop said. “We go into each game with the mentality that we will fight to the end.”