Goals in mind

Leading scorer for varsity girls signs to play soccer for Texas

Senior+Katie+Glenn+signed+her+letter+of+intent+to+play+soccer+for+The+University+of+Texas%2C+Feb.+4.+

Janice McLaughlin

Senior Katie Glenn signed her letter of intent to play soccer for The University of Texas, Feb. 4.

Alyssa Jingling, Rumbler Staffer

In a few months, varsity soccer player Katie Glenn will no longer be a Raider. She’ll be a Longhorn. The senior made it official last Wednesday, when she signed a letter of intent to play soccer for The University of Texas.
“It’s just a great atmosphere and the coaches are great along with the team,” Glenn said. “It’s one of the greatest universities in the world and it’s in the best city.”
The university first expressed interest in Glenn her sophomore year. Glenn verbally committed to Texas and has been waiting more than two years to official sign with the D-1 school.
“It was exciting,” Glenn said. “They’re a big time school and have a big time soccer program so I was excited.”
Glenn has been playing soccer since she was four years old. She began playing soccer because her sister played.
“I just grew up always playing and wasn’t involved in any other sports,” Glenn said. “So I just stuck with soccer.”
Glenn is the attacking midfielder of the team, a position soccer coach Lindsey Williams describes as the “quarterback of the team.” Last season as a junior, she scored 43 of the team’s 79 goals, more than half the goals. Her scoring prowess helped the team go several rounds deep in the playoffs, reaching the 4A region finals, one game short of the state tournament.
“She brings intensity [to the team],” Williams said. “She always wants herself and the team to do better.”
Senior Samantha Mackay, who has been playing with Glenn for four years, has seen firsthand the midfielder’s influence.
“She brings hard work [to the team], she helps everyone,” Mackay said. “She’s serious about the game, it rubs off on us and gets us serious, too.”
For Glenn, soccer is more than just a sport.
“It’s a passion,” Glenn said. “Playing it for so long and being around the game forever, it has become my life and I love every second of it.”
Glenn credits her family and Williams for supporting her on and off the field.
“They’ve just always been right by my side through the good and the bad,” Glenn said. “Throughout the college process, playoffs and my whole soccer career, every step of the way.”
Williams has enjoyed coaching Glenn for a year in middle school and all four years of high school.
“It’s been fun to watch her grow and develop as a player on the field and off the field,” Williams said.
Even though the school has moved up to a new conference, Glenn’s leadership and intensity can motivate the team to stay in the competition. They have wins against Pflugerville and McNeil.
“We are in a tougher district so it’s better competition, but it’s nothing we can’t handle,” Glenn said. “We will definitely have to earn our spot though, being the new ones in the district.”
The team has no trouble working together to meet the new 6A standards, though.
“Playing with her makes me want to do better,” Mackay said. “So our team works better to be as good as her.”