Fresh face

Ninth grader plays on varsity girls team after only a summer of training

Photo by Janice McLaughlin

Freshman Taylor Douthitt dribbles the ball past a Stony Point opponent.

Jordan Buie, Co-editor & Chief

A freshman making the varsity team is a rare feat. Even more unusual is freshman Taylor Douthitt making varsity after never playing on any basketball team.

“It made me feel great, I wasn’t expecting it because I hadn’t been playing that long,” Douthitt said. “But it is awesome to be playing with the people I’m playing with.”

The freshman had only ever played with friends and went to a summer training camp before entering her first year of high school.
“I actually started playing soccer first, like I was really into soccer,” Douthitt said. “I was in select soccer and playing basketball with my friends, but this year during the summer was the first time I actually started getting serious about it.”

While basketball is different from soccer, Douthitt liked the change of sport.

“It’s a really enjoyable sport and it is nice to go from soccer to basketball because soccer was super serious,” Douthitt said. “I wasn’t really close to my team and this team is a lot different from what I’ve experienced. It’s a lot more fun and it’s also serious but still enjoyable.”

Head coach Lori McDonald noticed the freshman’s potential in tryouts.

“Taylor’s court sense is what helped her make varsity this year,” McDonald said. “She obviously has a passion for the game and is dedicated to becoming a stronger player.”

At first, Douthitt’s scant experience left her slightly nervous, but sophomore Jennifer Parker, who was the only freshman on the team last year, helped her become more comfortable.

“I thought I would get a lot more stuff than I do, being the fish and all,” Douthitt said. “However, during tryouts there was a sophomore who took me under her wing and talked me through it, and I’m really close with the seniors, and pretty much everyone else now.”

Now having wrapped up her first year on varsity, Douthitt would like to return the favor next season.

“I’m ready to not be the freshman on the team next year,” Douthitt said. “And I hope that a freshman will come onto varsity; I will definitely be the one who accepts them first because it takes awhile for everyone else.”