Boys soccer have strong LISD tournament

The boys varsity soccer team competed in the LISD winter cup and finished 3-1 overall.

Photo by Adrian Salazar

Senior Logan Zipkes runs the field at the Varsity Boys Soccer game against Winn.

Michelle Contreras, Rumbler Staffer

The varsity boys soccer went 3-1 overall at the LISD Winter Cup, Jan. 23-24, paving way for a strong start to district.

“We’re starting to put our goals on the board and get some wins under our belt from this past tournament we played in,” boys soccer coach Darrell Knight. “We’re getting better each game and looking forward to the district coming up soon.”

Despite the dreary weather and drizzle, the team played well, winning their first game against Southlake Carroll 3-2, Jan. 23. In the afternoon they scored four times to beat Winn 4-1.

“We should’ve beaten them a lot more than what we did,” senior Logan Zipkes said. “We could’ve score at least a couple more goals. We played well, we just didn’t play as well as we could have.”

The next day they lost 1-0 to Pflugerville’s Connally.

“We outplayed them most of the game, we just didn’t finish our opportunities,” Zipkes said. “We lost 1-0, we just didn’t finish our opportunities and they capitalized on theirs. A lot of opportunities we didn’t finish whereas they finished the opportunities they had.”

That afternoon they placed second in their bracket, pitting them in their final game against Cedar Park. With having won that game 3-1, they’ve proven they have more than enough potential to do well in new 6A district.

“I think coming off of our first three wins from over the weekend, I think it’s gonna give us confidence going into district,” Zipkes said. “Knowing that we have potential and that we have the pieces to be good.”

With the challenges of 6A, the varsity boys soccer team will need all the support they can get.

“The guys really feed off of the energy that our fans bring and it helps them play well on the field,” Knight said. “A loud, energetic student section is a great home team advantage.”

Currently, the team has one win and four ties in district. The team play Stony Point this Friday at 8 p.m.