Seniors say goodbye to volleyball

Photo by Travis Long

Seniors Peyton Planchard, Yaneisy Lua, Ashlyn Summerbell, Haley Hutchinson, Emily Hanaway, Taylor Black, Morgan Currie and Katie Sheeler

Emma Foster, Journalism I Staffer

Where friendship comes first, laughing comes second and volleyball comes third, eight seniors have a lot of memories to leave behind.

Seniors Emily Hanaway, Haley Hutchinson, Taylor Black, Morgan Currie, Yaneisy Lua, Peyton Planchard, Katie Sheeler and Ashlyn Summerbell have experienced everything in their four years in the volleyball program. They spent their last year in a new district, coming from 4A to 6A, with the girls they have played with since the beginning.

“Being in a new district is great,” senior Haley Hutchinson said. “We have no preconceived ideas of the teams we’ve been playing and it just helps us to focus on our game and doing the best we can.”
But it’s not all blood, sweat and tears. The girls know how to have fun too, especially when they leave town.

“Pearland was definitely amazing,” senior Morgan Currie said. This was our second year to go. It’s always fun in Pearland, we did so many crazy things. Varsity initiation was great too. That was super fun because we’re keeping a tradition and passing it on for the seniors.”

Now the girls can add playoffs to their list of memories. They have aimed for playoffs since their freshman year, and succeeded as seniors, making school history.

“Going to playoffs has been our goal all season,” senior Emily Hanaway said. “I can’t believe we finally reached it. It’s so surreal and I’m so proud to be a part of making history.”

Even with the rewarding end to the season, the girls have a lot they will miss. It took more than hours of practice and hard work to get to where they are. Their teammates became their best friends.

“The friends I have made have honestly made all the blood sweat and tears worth it,” Hutchinson said. “I hope I will always have the same passion for volleyball and for my teammates. I will miss all of the girls I’ve gotten close to over the past four years, and the memories we’ve made.”