Freshmen trio gets varsity playing experience

Photo by Caroline Noble

Freshman Ava Bell goes up for the kill at the Stony Point match. Bell was one of three freshmen on the varsity team.

Caroline Noble, Journalism I Staffer

Being a freshman on the varsity volleyball team is a rare occasion, but not impossible. Freshmen Danielle Cole, élan McCall and Ava Bell all played with varsity this season.

Freshman Danielle  Cole and Ava Bell
Freshman Danielle
Cole and Ava Bell

“At first I was very nervous,” Cole said. “I wasn’t used to their level of play.”

As part of varsity, the three girls took part in the team’s pre-game rituals. Before each game, the team went to Tropical Smoothie to help calm their nerves. They also read from a poster in the locker room consistin g of goals they hope to achieve this year. Before they step out on the court, there’s one more pre-game ritual yet to complete.

“Before every game we go in the locker room and turn the lights off and have a dance party,” Cole said. “After that we talk and try to motivate each other.”

With practices after school every day until 6 p.m., and games every Tuesday and Friday, the freshmen had to figure out how to fit academics into their schedules.

“It’s so hard,” Bell said. “You have to have to stay up late to get homework done.”

The volleyball team has a history of cheering for someone when they score or do something well. Coach Jacob Thompson encourages the freshmen to get excited for their teammates.

“It’s kind of instinct,” McCall said. “We were told to be happy and keep the positive energy, but now it’s natural.”

The student section is also a big part of the volleyball games. Every game, students show up to cheer on the players. The goal is to get the girls motivated and energized.

#4 #5
Freshmen Danielle Cole and Elan McCall off to the sidelines watching he rest of the team intently.

“I think they get us pumped up,” Bell said. “I like the student section.”

Although they fit in well with the other girls, Bell, McCall and Cole think it’s important to try to be as good as the upperclassmen so they don’t stand out as freshman.

“It’s really nerve-racking,” McCall said. “You don’t want to mess up and get them mad at you.”

The trio was thrilled to have been a part of the first team to go to playoffs.

“I’m super excited,” Cole said. “I want to win for the seniors, win for the team, win for the playoffs.”