Ignition Switch

Senior brings excitement to whole other level in between points

Ignition+Switch

Lila Lilljedahl, Staffer

She’s the spark that ignites the team.

Every Tuesday and Friday, senior Morgan Currie is on the court, bringing together the varsity volleyball team with her leadership. After every point the veteran player gathers with her teammates, encouraging them when they lose the point and letting loose when they win one.

“Oh my gosh, it literally makes everyone so excited,” senior and teammate Peyton Planchard said. “She’s definitely pumps up the team.”

Currie’s excitement level is so high it includes an energetic dance and a seal-like noise the senior emits to distract the other team. The senior, who moved up to varsity during her sophomore year, has seen how positive energy can impact the team.

“If one player is down we come to the huddle in between points to motivate them to stay positive throughout the game,” Currie said.

Currie plays the libero, a specialized defensive player who wears a different color jersey. The libero remains in the game the entire match, helping with passes and digs.

“Personally, I think I bring the leadership,” Currie said. “Especially being the libero I have to be loud on the court and talkative to them.”

Currie and the team have won 12 matches in non-district play. The team kicked off district play last week, beating Stony Point in four games.

“I think this has been our strongest season,” Currie said. “We are hoping to continue our success for the rest of the season.”