Tennis team wins Del Valle tournament

Jariah Johnson, Online Editor

The varsity tennis team won the Del Valle tournament, March 21.They beat LBJ by two points to win the tourney, the Austin team they defeated in the fall to advance to regionals.

“I was very impressed that we were able to win this tournament missing both girls and boys doubles,” coach Michael Hjort said. “I had made a coaching decision last semester that affected some players so I only brought a skeleton crew to this tournament, but eight of the 10 players finished either as the champion or runner-up of their draw in the tournament. The Rouse tennis program is on the map and many teams don’t like to see us show up at tournaments which is a good thing.”

In the boys’ matches, senior Cameron McCarthy was the singles champion in the A-Boys Main Draw. Junior Zane Ritter was the singles champion in the B-Boys Main Draw and senior Tyler Narcheccia was the runner-up.

Adrian Montes plays in the Del Valle tournament, Friday, March 21.

Senior Kali Rose was the single champion for the A-Girls Main Draw. In mixed doubles, seniors Londyn Thetford and Aaron O’Brien won the championship while juniors Ellie Mueller and Adrian Montes were the runner-up team.

“I felt really good because we played hard in our last match and won,” Thetford said. “Our whole entire team worked really hard and I’m proud of everybody.”

Results:
Team – 1st
Cameron McCarthy – A-Boys Main Draw Singles Champion
Zane Ritter – B-Boys Main Draw Singles Champion
Tyler Nardecchia – B-Boys Main Draw Singles Runner-up
Kali Rose – A-Girls Main Draw Singles Champion
Londyn Thetford & Aaron O’Brien – Mixed Doubles Champion
Ellie Mueller & Adrian Montes – Mixed Doubles Runner-up