The School Newspaper of Rouse High School

Two swimmers place at state meet

Haley Timmons takes third in 100 Fly, Amanda Alspaugh finishes fourth in 200 IM

March 3, 2014

Sophomore Haley Timmons receives her bronze medal at the 4A state swim meet. Timmons took third in the 100 Butterfly.

Two swimmers placed at the 4A state meet, Feb. 21-22 at The University of Texas.“I thought they did really well, they swam both days,” coach Brooke Doherty said.At the meet, sophomore Haley Timmons placed third in the 100 Butterfly with a time of 57.67, receiving a bronze medal.

“I’m really glad to be able to go out and represent Rouse again this year,” Timmons said. “It was great to be able to spend time with my teammates and see old friends and new friends.”

This was Timmons second year to compete at the state meet. Last year, she finished fifth in the same event.

“I was very excited to have a swimmer medal at state,” Doherty said. “Rouse has only had one other swimmer ever medal at State so it was a big accomplishment for Haley and the team to bring a bronze medal back to Rouse.”

Senior Amanda Alspaugh dives in for the start of her race. Alspaugh competed in the 200 IM and the 500 Free at state. She finished fourth in the 200 IM>

Senior Amanda Alspaugh placed fourth in the 200 Individual Medley with a time of 2:07.96. In the 500 Free, she swam in the consolation finals.

“I’m disappointed I didn’t get a medal,” Alspaugh said. “But I’m still happy I placed.”

Senior Jeremy Penberg competed in the 50 Freestyle and 100 Freestyle and swam in the consolation finals for both events.

“It was cool because this was my first year going and knowing I was competing with the best swimmers in the state,” Penberg said.

Senior Jeremy Penberg waits for the start of his race at the 4A state swim meet. Penberg competed in the 50 and 100 Free.

This was Alspaugh and Penberg’s final high school competition; they are two of five swimmers graduating. Timmons will return for her junior year and be accompanied by the other returning swimmers.

I’m looking forward to competing as a 6A school,” Doherty said. “We will face tougher teams and I look forward to watching us rise to the challenge and compete at a higher level.”

[slideshow id=81]