Varsity boys basketball team falls in second round

Photo by Kara Cagle

Andrew Logan tries to move past a Clemens defender in the second round game.

Mikayla Calhoun, Sports Editor

The varsity boys basketball team made it to playoffs for the second year in a row, advancing to the second round.

“Making playoffs felt great,” junior Reid Walker said. “It’s just a fun environment to be in and it was a really great feeling.”

The Raiders dominated the first game against Travis High School, leading all through the first two quarters and taking a 28-25 lead at halftime. However, by the end of the third quarter, the teams were tied.

With 2:30 left in the game, the Raiders had a slim one-point lead. Senior DJ Johnson sank two free throws with a minute left to give the Raiders a 47-44 lead and the team held on to win 48-46.

With the bi-district win, the Raiders advanced to the second round to face Schertz Clemens in Dripping Springs. In the fast-pace game, the team trailed the Buffalos 22-21 at the end of the first quarter and were down by four at the half with the Buffalos leading 44-40. The Buffalos went on a run in the second half, pulling ahead by 20 points at one point. The Raiders closed the gap to six points by the end of the third quarter. But the lead was too much as Schertz continued to press and win the game 89-73.

Rouse finished the season third in district with an 8-4 district record and 22-14 overall.

“I would’ve changed the outcome,” Walker said. “I would have us win and go to the regional tournament to end the seniors on a good note by going farther than we ever had before.”