The School Newspaper of Rouse High School

Raider Rumbler

Raider Rumbler

Raider Rumbler

Twelve wrestlers place at district meet

Twelve varsity boys wrestlers placed at the district meet, Saturday, Jan. 25, with nine qualifying for regionals.

“It went great. I thought the kids wrestled well,” wrestling coach Brad Bresnehen said. “The team wrestled very well and I’m happy we placed third. But I feel we can do better and we will at regionals.”

Of the 12 wrestlers that competed, five won all of their matches to advance to the final championship match in their weight class. Senior Jesse O’Rourke defeated Cedar Park and Dripping Spring wrestlers to face Georgetown’s Derek Bradenburg in the final. O’Rourke won the match, 9-3 to become the district champion in the 182 weight class.

“I’m very proud of the young man, on and off the mat,” Bresnehen said. “He completely dominated his bracket and picked up important bonus points in doing so.”

Wrestlers Noah Martinez, Dylan Rowling, Evan Coleman and Jake Moser all also advanced to championship matches and finished second in the 113, 145, 170 and 285 weight classes, respectively. Martinez and Rowling are both freshmen and were competing at district for the first time in their high school careers.

“I feel like I did alright, but could have done better,” Rowling said. “I just got overpowered [in final match], but I’m happy that I placed second and can’t wait for regionals.”

Moser won his first two matches by fall, against Dripping Springs and Georgetown, to face Josh Herlbut from Georgetown East View in the final.

“I feel pretty good, till the last guy,” Moser said “I messed up, should have done better. The team did great, but I can’t wait to go back and be better than ever.”

Micah Schonfeld, Jose Rangel and Trevor Hendricks finished third in the 126, 132 and 220 weight classes, and will advance to regionals.

“I’m pretty excited,” Rangel said. “I’m relieved that I get to go. I think I did the best that I could. [It’s my] first time going so that’s why I’m so happy.”

Schonfeld, who advanced to state last year, lost only one match, a one point decision to Vista Ridge’s Matt Holloran, also a state qualifier last year. Schonfeld defeated Vandegrift’s Austin Crawford by fall in his final match to finish third.

“I think out district is one of the hardest districts around so placing third is nothing to be ashamed of,” Schonfeld said. “However, we made some mistakes that we couldn’t afford in order to get first and that cost us in the long run.”

The nine wrestlers who placed first through fourth now move on to compete at regionals Friday and Saturday, Jan. 31-Feb. 1 at the Delco Center in Austin. They’ll be joined by junior Elise Coleman, who was uncontested in her girls’ weight class at the district meet.

“We didn’t wrestle as best we could, but we had a great day,” assistant coach Tony Cooper said. “And when it comes to regionals, all you need in an invitation to the dance. And we got one.”

Varsity Wrestling District Results
3rd Overall Team
113 – Noah Martinez, 2nd
126 – Micah Schonfeld, 3rd
132 – Jose Rangel, 3rd
138 – Dustin Foiles, 4th
145 – Dylan Rowling, 2nd
152 – Sam Houston, 6th
160 – Rory Rood, 5th
170 – Evan Coleman, 2nd
182 – Jesse O’Rourke, 1st
195 – Thomas LanghaM, 5th
220 – Trevor Hendricks, 3rd
285 – Jake Moser, 2nd

Junior Varsity District Results
2nd Overall Team
Robert Tenny 4th
Daniel Martinez 5th
Cauy Moore 2nd
Ioannis Zottis 5th
Trevor Ellis 5th
Devin Hooper 6th
Brock Catchpool 4th
Cory Kirk 1st
Toby Tolbert 2nd
Chris Schubert 2nd
Austin Lilly 6th
Nic Carreon 5th
Jesse Moser 2nd
Trey Terrell 6th
Dalton Abendroth 1st