The School Newspaper of Rouse High School

Raider Rumbler

Raider Rumbler

Raider Rumbler

Day in the Life of a Football Player: Ryan Heinrich

Friday morning. The big game against Leander. Junior linebacker Ryan Heinrich wakes up at 5:45 a.m. with one thought on his mind – WIN. His mom gives him an early morning pep talk and then he gets in his Chevy truck to have breakfast tacos at La Tapatia with his dad – a tradition they have every game day.

photo by Bridget O’Malley

“I like having breakfast with my dad,” Heinrich said. “We can just talk about football and it’s pretty relaxing.”

He arrives early at school to drop his game day jersey by history teacher Janet Howards’ classroom.

“She’s my main teacher,” Heinrich said. “I always give it to her and sign her board with my number, I give it to her every week.”

At the pep rally, he runs through the line of Royals with his teammates and addresses the crowd with other football captains. When assistant principal Brandon Evans announces the Homecoming Court, Heinrich makes the list for junior duke nominees.

During first period, Heinrich attends the defensive meeting to listen to defensive coach Wayne Poehls.

“The meeting definitely gets everybody pumped because Coach Poehls is a beast,” Heinrich said. “He knows how to get everybody’s minds right and knows exactly what to say.”

photo by Kel Lemons

Heinrich tried to focus on schoolwork during Pre-Calculus and Principles of Health Science, but football remains in the back of his mind. Since ACC doesn’t have classes on Fridays, Heinrich heads to Subway fourth period for a pre-game meal.

After school, he gathers in the cafeteria with the other football players to eat dinner together and get pumped for the game.

“I like being around the guys,” Heinrich said. “They’re a good group of guys to be around and the team moms really put together a good meal every single week.”

At Bible Stadium, Heinrich completes the traditional pre-game activities – warm up, the helmet entrance and the National Anthem. Near the end of the second quarter the Raiders have a slim 10-7 lead and the Lions are driving down field. On second down, Heinrich sacks Leander’s quarterback Brandon Hopp for a loss and the Lions go 3-and-out. Heinrich finshes the game with three sacks, nine tackles and five assisted tackles.

photo by Kel Lemons

“Ryan was a stud tonight, there’s no other way to explain it,” head coach Joshua Mann said. “That dude was all over the field, making great plays and doing a tremendous job in all the areas, you have to tip your hat.”

After the game, Heinrich takes the bus back to school with his teammates. He joins some friends at Buffalo Wild Wings for some celebratory grub and finally arrives home at 1:03 a.m.,  to find relatives asleep on the floor.

“My first thought was, ‘Why are there a thousand kids asleep on the floor in the living room?’ ” Heinrich said. “But, I really like it when they come out and support me, it makes me feel really good.”