The School Newspaper of Rouse High School

Raider Rumbler

Raider Rumbler

Raider Rumbler

Raiders crush Marble Falls, 29-14

After trailing 14-0 in the first quarter, the Raiders roared back with 29 unanswered points for the win over Marble Falls. The win improved the Raiders to 3-0 in district and 6-1 overall.

On the opening drive, Marble Falls quarterback Brennen Wooten threw a long pass to quickly put the Mustangs in the red zone. They scored two plays later from the 4-yard line, only 1:08 into the game.

The Raiders come out just as strong, moving the ball to the Mustangs’ 44-yard line. But a 30-yard touchdown by quarterback Wesley Geisler was called back for holding and Geisler threw an interception two plays later.

Marble Falls took over on their own 16 and marched right back down field again. Wooten threw a 38-yard touchdown to extend the Mustangs’ lead to 14-0.

The Raiders finally gained some traction in the second quarter. A 13-yard punt return by Morgan Vest brought the team into Mustang territory, on the 48. With runs by Geisler and Billy McCrary, who solely played as running back, the Raiders quickly moved into the red zone. Kevin Cole scored on a 5-yard run, cutting Marble Falls’ lead 14-7.

Cole scored again a few minutes later on a 37-yard rush and a Zack Ramirez’ kick tied up the game at 14. Ramirez also added a 28-yard field goal to end the half with the Raiders leading 17-14.The Raiders would never trail again.

In the second half, the Raiders added a safety when the ball sailed out of the end zone. Ramirez hit a 36-yard field goal in the third and McCrary scored in the fourth on a 2-yard run for the final touchdown of the game.

The defense shut out the Mustangs for three quarters, limiting Marble Falls’ offense to 12 first downs. They only gave up 44 rushing yards and 188 passing yards, the second lowest of the season. The defense also had 35 tackles, a sack, interception and recovered fumble.

The offense had 397 yards of total offense in the 29-14 win. With the win at Marble Falls, the Raiders are now in a three-way tie for first place with Cedar Park and Vandegrift, two teams they have yet to play. The Raiders take on Cedar Park Friday, Oct. 18 and Vandegrift, Nov. 1.